Friday, February 22, 2013

ARRRGH (no, I'm not making pirate noises.)

Look... I love Etsy, and I love my Pagan peeps.  But for GODDESS' SAKE, if I see one more person selling "alter" tools or "pentical" jewelry, or trying to pass off obviously dyed blue howlite as real turquoise, I'm going to lose it.

... so, with that in mind, I have this to say:

1.  To all of you who buy things online, DO YOUR RESEARCH.
2.  Know what the kind of stone or crystal you are buying should look like.
3.  Don't take anyone's word for it what properties it should have - look it up.
4.  Make sure to clear/cleanse ANY altar tools or anything else you will use for sacred purposes (even if it's supposedly been "blessed" or whatever.  You don't know for sure that's true!)
5.  And don't forget to ask yourself:  how much quality or expertise can you REALLY expect from a Pagan/Wiccan/Witch vendor who can't bother to spell the tools of his/her trade or the terminology of his/her own religion (and the religion of the people they are selling to!) correctly?  Hmmm?

And while I'm on this topic, WHAT is going on with all the polymer clay stuff?  Why do Witches even use it?  For those who are not aware, it's NOT clay... it's actually made out of PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which, by the way, is PLASTIC.

Most Witches I know turn up their noses at plastic ritual jewelry or anything altar-related made of plastic, but for some reason everyone's just fine with making athames and wands and all sorts of other "sacred" tools with the stuff.  I'd be a laughingstock if I went down to Home Depot, bought some white PVC pipe, stuck a crystal on it and called it a "wand," but the reality is that a polymer clay wand amounts to about the same thing.  It just looks nicer.

Just a little food for thought.  And in case you are wondering, *This rant was brought to you today by PMS and a slight headache.*



4 comments:

  1. Preach it, sister!

    (Though, now I want to go make a PVC wand. I bet I could find a Discordian or Chaote who would love it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha ha... so true. Those wacky Discordians!

      I almost want to do the PVC wand thing as an experiment... see how many people a) uncomfortably ignore it, b) get up in my face to tell me how wrong it is, or c) love it because OOOH, SHINY!
      ;)

      Delete
  2. lol. Well I do make clay crafts, but they are air dry clay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, that's cool. I'm not anti-clay - I'm not even anti-polymer clay. I just prefer clays that are more earth-friendly, ESPECIALLY on the altar.

      Delete