Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm presenting at PantheaCon 2012!

It's official... I'm hosting a craft workshop at the upcoming PantheaCon!  I'm half excited, half terrified.  I'm not big on public speaking, mostly because I really don't like being the center of attention.  But at the same time, I know I can teach a craft class in my sleep.  I had to teach crafts every day to the 40 or so K-2nd graders I worked with for three years, after all.  At least at PantheaCon, I presume I won't have to tell the participants not to run with scissors or eat the glue. 

The workshop is called "Make a Pocket Shrine," and here is the description that will be in the schedule: 
"This is a craft workshop that involves making a small, pocket-sized, portable matchbox shrine that can go with you anywhere.  Shrines can be dedicated to a Deity or element, hold tiny ritual items, be empowered with a specific purpose or goal, or serve as a mobile mini altar.  Craft supplies will be provided, but you are encouraged to bring your own personal items as well- anything small enough to fit in a matchbox, including photos, clip art, charms, stones, fortune cookie fortunes, stickers, etc." 

It's going to be a pretty messy project, but I have a lot of really fun stuff for the participants to work with, including scrapbook paper, charms, sequins, and beads.  I hope I'm not getting in over my head.  I've set the space limit at around 50 people, since I will obviously only have a finite supply of craft materials, and I expect the workshop to be completely full.  For one, there are usually only about four or five craft presentations at PantheaCon the entire weekend, and I also have a prime slot:  Sunday at 3:30 in the afternoon!  Check out the full schedule here:  https://pantheacon.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/PantheaCon2012FinalSchedule_112111.htm

So if you're going to be at PantheaCon, and you would like to come to my workshop, I suggest that you get there early.  I'm also going to attend all four days if anyone would like to network or hang out... I know there's plenty of people I'm looking forward to seeing again or meeting for the first time.  It seems so strange to me that this will only be my third year at PantheaCon, since I've been Pagan for around 14 years or so and I've lived in the San Jose area the whole time.  I suppose that before I started taking my meds I wouldn't have been comfortable going to an event like this, because I'm bipolar and the fact that I used to have extreme social anxiety and problems with crowds.  I certainly wouldn't have gone by myself (although I have no issues with that now.)  And here I am this year, actually getting up in front of a room full of people and giving a presentation!  What a long way I've come in three years.  It still makes me sad to think of all the years I've missed PantheaCon, but I'm proud of myself for getting out there and making the most of my time catching up.  Goddess knows I won't willingly miss another PantheaCon in the future... and who knows, if my workshop goes well this time, maybe I'll keep presenting every year, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment