Monday, January 31, 2011

About the name of my blog....

I think it's funny how things often turn out like this, but no more than an hour or two after I wrote on Thursday that I didn't know what to call my blog, it suddenly came to me out of nowhere that it should be called "Sacred Survival in a Mundane World."  The title seemed so right, but I wasn't quite convinced.  I mulled it over, "tried it on" for a few days, asked a few friends about it, and of course checked to see if anyone else online was using it.  As far as I can tell the phrase seems to be mine for the taking, if I want it.  And you know what?  I decided that I do, I really do.

So why does this name work for me?  It really helped me pin down what it is that I want to blog about: my day-to-day journey, sometimes racing, sometimes just barely staggering along, as I walk the Pagan path.  Anyone who's ever "found themselves" in Paganism knows that our modern world is not always a particularly Pagan-friendly enviornment, and this blog is going to describe my victories and my defeats as I attempt to navigate life while remaining true to my spiritual convictions. 

For example:  like most Pagans, I feel deeply connected to nature.  I revere the Earth as my Mother, and try to live lightly on Her, in the most eco-friendly way possible.  This is one issue that I wrestle with literally many times a day, because unless I move into an off-grid yurt and fend for myself in the wilderness, I know that often I will be forced to make choices that compromise my desires as an environmentalist, and it feels a bit like I'm betraying my religion every time. 

So I do what I can, I weigh my choices, and I try to consider what the God/Goddess would want from me.  Which is not always easy to determine. It can be extremely difficult to listen to the voices of the Divine in your heart when the din of everyday life is constantly threatening to drown out the sound.  And that's what I want to write about, is how to maintain that connection to the Divine, despite this mundane life.

No comments:

Post a Comment